The Dogra Raj had started trying to control Greater Gilgit from 1848. Mir Hunza's warriors fought three times until 1869. After that there was peace. The two main areas of this area were Hunza and Nagar which were situated on opposite sides of the river Hunza and were enemies of each other. In 1870, he made a peace treaty with Maharaja Ranbir Singh. The local rulers of Hunza, Nagar, Ponial, Ashkman, the administrators of Mount Khidr and Yasin paid tribute to the Dogra Maharaja in April every year. It was during the polo tournament in Gilgit. But the Hindu Dogra rule was not popular among the locals.

The ruling family split in Hunza in 1888 and in Nagar in 1891. The next rulers were more aggressive. In 1888, Hunza's new mayor refused to pay tribute. Dogra attacked again. This time they clashed with the allied forces of Hunza and Nagar. This force captured the main fort of Chalat. This alliance was a surprise to the Dogra army as both Hunza and Nagar were old rivals and bitter enemies. The external enemy had united them. The rulers of Hunza and Nagar wanted relations with the Russians. The British prevented them from forming an alliance with Russia by increasing their popularity. He signed an agreement with Colonel Durand. It was also agreed that trade caravans would be allowed to pass safely and no looting would take place on the way here. Since there was not much agricultural land here, it was a source of income for the area.

Rebellions broke out in Hunza and Nagar in 1891. This time it was a matter of opposing the construction of a road to these areas. Mir Hunza sought help from Tashkent, which was denied. The British assembled the Hunza Nagar Field Force, led by Algornon Durand. After four weeks of hard fighting, Nagar and then Hunza were defeated in the cold weather. Mir Hunza was deposed and had to flee to Aramachi where China gave him a manor in Yarkand. His half-brother was made Mir. The old Mir of Nagar was retained. The battle was planned and organized by his son. The son was deported. After the victory of the Anglo-Dogra army, the entire area of ​​Gilgit Agency came under the control of the Maharaja of Jammu and Kashmir.

Gradually, Hunza and Nagar were largely taken over by the British. In 1913, the Gilgit Corps Scout was formed. This force and the Jammu and Kashmir State Force also took part in the First World War. The force turned into the Gilgit Scouts. It had soldiers from Gilgit Agency who were the best to fight in the area. In 1935, the British formally took control of Gilgit. It was called Gilgit Leased Area. In November 1947, the Gilgit Scouts played a key role in the war against the Maharaja led by a British officer.

.. .. .. .. ...

Its neighboring area was Chitral. It was a Nawabi state west of Gilgit. Mehtar here was connected to Badakhshan and Wakhan. In 1880, the Afghan Amir claimed that the area of ​​Chitral belonged to Afghanistan. But the Durand Line of 1894 clearly made it part of British India. British-Chitral relations soured after the death of British friend Mehtar Chitral Aman-ul-Mulk. Chitral was annexed to Malakand Agency in 1895, including Dir and Swat. These areas were in the neighborhood of the state of Jammu and Kashmir.